Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Coachella Recap

So this entry isn’t the usual “Savvy or Savory” type post, but I did mention in my very first entry that this blog would also touch on the other major interests in my life like music and traveling. I haven't been to Coachella since 2007, so I was super stoked to make a return. First let's start off with some pictures of my rad friends that I shared the experience with and the fashion choices of course:


 


My Top 3 Performances

1.       Disclosure – "Latch" feat. Sam Smith. This song closed all of Coachella for me. It was the last song I heard on Sunday and was my absolute favorite performance! This song is currently on repeat. They also performed "Running" with special guest Jessie Ware. Here is a link to the official video as the performance below sounds a little choppy and does not do the live performance justice.


2.       Allen Stone – "Is This Love?" This is one of my all time favorite songs, originally sang by Bob Marley. Allen Stone's voice is so powerful and full of soul. He is one of those rare artists that sounds even better live than on their album. I couldn't find a video of the Coachella performance, so below is the music video version of it but here's a link to his life performance of another great song "Satisfaction" which was the last song he performed at Coachella. And if you have Spotify, check out his live session of "What's Going On."


3.       Yeah Yeah Yeahs – "Heads Will Roll". When my friends and I heard this song we went crazy!! Too good!!! Here's their performance of Maps leading into Heads Will Roll:

 
Other amazing artists/bands/djs I got to see:

·         Jessie Ware – Such a class act. My favorite songs were Wildest Moments, If You’re Never Gonna Move & Valentine which she brought out her drummer to sing with her, who was also an amazing singer!
·         The XX – Definitely more mellow, but they sounded just like they do on their album. Crystalised, Islands & Shelter were my faves.
·         Bingo Players – These DJ’s really took me by surprise. I only knew their one song “Cry” on the radio but all of their jams had me dancing non-stop!
·         Dog Blood – Skrillex and Boyz Noise, how could you not like them?
·         Simian Mobile Disco – I’ve always liked this DJ duo, but none of my friends really knew who they were. It caught them by surprise at how good they were. They’ve got a totally different sound and I can’t explain it, you’ll just have to listen to their stuff.
·         Dillon Francis – This was the first performance I saw and it definitely set the mood for the weekend. When I.D.G.A.F.O.S. came on, the whole crowd was definitely going HAM.
·         Baauer – The infamous guy who brought us the Trap song sensation “Harlem Shake”… I thought he’d be a one hit wonder, but I have to admit all his songs had me dancing hard.
·         2 Chainz – We all know who this is and unfortunately in my book, rappers have never really impressed me live. They always seem to sound gargled and all over the place, but 2 Chainz definitely impressed me. He sounded so clear and had every person in the crowd singing his every lyric.
·         Major Lazer – Diplo is just such a creative mind and all that he does is so refreshing. I’ve seen Major Lazer live before, and they just get better and better. They definitely make you  bust out all kinds of dance moves.
·         Phoenix – Although I like Phoenix, and they sounded great live, their performance was super disappointing. First off, Daft Punk didn’t come on with them as rumored and instead R. Kelly did. R. Kelly’s guest performance, again sounded good, and might have been better received if everyone wasn’t expecting Daft Punk, but it was just odd. He is the polar opposite of Phoenix and caught everyone off guard. Another reason why I was so disappointed is that they didn’t play my favorite song, which is most of the older fans’ favorite song as well, “If I Ever Feel Better.”
·         Alex Clare – Alex Clare is just starting to come up because of his hit “Too Close.” His voice is so powerful and soulful, definitely not what you would expect from looking at him.
·         Pretty Lights – Of course the lights were amazing on this set. When “Finally Moving” came on, the crowd went wild. Some people don’t appreciate instrumentals, but it’s hard not to fall in love with Pretty Lights.
·         Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Of course we had to check out RHCP. I grew up with them and there’s nothing like knowing all the lyrics to all their songs and singing along. They guys are getting old, but they still sound just like they did 10 years ago. Still rocking out, hard!
·         La Roux – This chick is just so cool. The way she sings, walks along the stage, everything about her emulates fierce. She started with “In For The Kill” and I was hooked.


Check out more Coachella performances here: http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella/videos?view=0

If you’ve ever been to Coachella, you know that it’s impossible to see every single act because there are 6 different stages with performances going on simultaneously. Below are the artists I was super bummed to miss! Wish I could’ve gone again Weekend 2 to check out the ones I didn't get to!
·         Four Tet
·         The 2 Bears
·         Two Door Cinema Club
·         Dub FX
·         Richie Hawtin
·         Maya Jane Coles
·         Local Natives
·         Vintage Trouble
·         Julio Bashmore
·         Sigur Ros
·         Knife Party
·         Wu Tang Clan

More Coachella Pictures
 
 
   
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment