Sunday, May 5, 2013

DIY Gold Bookshelf

I've been on the hunt for a gold bookshelf and haven't been able to find one under my budget of $100. Maybe because the color is associated with luxury, all gold furniture I've run into seems to be very pricey.... and you know what that means, a DIY project.

Instead of starting from scratch, I decided to do another Ikea hack. I wanted something very simple, and let's face it, cheap. I found the Ikea Vittsjo for $40. Here's what it looks like before I got to it.
All I did was spraypaint the bookshelf frame, but spray painting is not as easy as it sounds. here are the Materials I used: White Primer Spray Paint, Gold Spray Paint, and 180-250 Grit Sand Paper. Optional: mask


DIRECTIONS
  1. Find an open area like a backyard or garage. If you choose to do it in a garage like I did, make sure to keep the garage door open as spray paint fumes are not good for you!
  2. Keep in mind that there will be "overspray" which is spray paint residue that will get everywhere and looks like a light powder, so make sure there is nothing nearby that can get accidentally sprayed in the process. Make sure to put tarp, cardboard or some sort of material to protect your floor.
  3. Assemble the book shelf but do not put the glass shelves on. You can put the 2 top and bottom wood boards, or you can spray paint them separately.
  4. Wipe down the book shelf and make sure it's completely clean and free of dust or other dirt.
  5. Prime the bookshelf with white primer. When you spray paint, the key is to do a very light coat about 6-8" away in an up and down or right to left motion. 
  6. Let the first layer of primer dry (about 10 minutes) and then do another layer or 2 until the bookshelf is white. Again, make sure you don't spray too close or too heavy or else the paint will drip and you will see that texture.
  7. After the primer is dry, lightly sand the entire shelf t make sure the surface is smooth. Wipe down any sanded residue.
  8. Take your gold spray paint and spray one light layer. Again, make sure to stay about 6-8" away and keep it very light or else your paint will drip.
  9. Let the first layer dry and do another layer or 2 until you get the color you like. I did 3 layers. 

DRIP TIP
This was my first time spray painting a piece of furniture and I did mess up in a couple of places where I spray painted too close or too heavy where the paint dripped. In order to fix this, i took a stronger sandpaper (60-80 grit) and sanded off the paint where it dripped and had an uneven texture. Once it was smooth, I re-primed with white and then spray painted with gold. It blended in pretty well, so don't worry too much if you mess up and have to do this. 

Here's the final outcome styled with some of my favorite books, sculptures, and albums!


No comments:

Post a Comment