Saturday, June 1, 2013

Project Vanity

I've been on the hunt for the perfect vanity for a couple months now. I wanted something vintage and classic that wouldn't go out of style, but still had some whimsy. Another important feature was that it needed to have storage for all my makeup and hair necessities. Lastly, and the hardest part, was that it needed to be 42 inches wide or less because it would be going into a niche 42" wide. Well low and behold, Craigslist brought me this beauty. It's actually a desk that I'll be repurposing as a vanity. I love the shape of the legs and all the drawers!


You probably can't tell from the picture, but the person who had this before put a cream wallpaper on each drawer. They were a bit beat up, so I decided I was going to paint it and change out the rusty knobs. Below are my supplies: Valspar mint green paint, foam brush and sandpaper. 


I haven't moved into my new place yet, but I was planning to have some mint green accents, so I thought I'd paint just the drawers green. I peeled off the wallpaper off of one drawer and I found that there was a keyhole that was covered. I painted it to see what it would look like, and the wood wasn't taking the paint well, plus I didn't like the extra hole. I wasn't sure how I was going to fix this. I thought about putting a sticker over the hole, but then i knew the shape of the sticker would show through the paint. Finally, I found some electrical tape and covered the entire drawer with it. If you have to do something like this, you have to line up the tape perfectly so that they don't overlap, otherwise you'll see the lines after you paint over it.



After my first drawer, I decided to just paint over the wallpaper, and it came out better than painting directly on the wood. I changed out the tarnished knobs for these cute crystal diamond shaped ones I found at Lowes.


Here's the finished product! I'm still not sure about the color. I'm going to have to see how it looks like with the rest of the room once I move into my new place. If it doesn't fit in with the rest of my decor, it's an easy fix with a new  color of paint. For now, I love the pop of color and how it turned out! Now I just need to find a chair or stool and a mirror to complete my perfect vanity.




No comments:

Post a Comment