Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My First Post - Savvy and Savory ?

Let me introduce myself, my name is Audrey and I'm living in Southern California. I’m absolutely excited to start this new chapter in my life which is part of the reason why I wanted to start my own blog. Let’s start off with the title. I wanted something that captured my love of “frugalista” shopping, food, home decorating, DIY projects, traveling, wedding and event coordination, and my own personal journey as a  new homeowner. As you can see this blog is going to be about a lot of things so it was impossible to find a title that incorporated it all, but mainly it will be about living life fabulously without breaking the bank and my delicious discoveries through food, travel and life as it happens… hence Savvy and Savory. I can’t take full credit for that name though. I bounced around a bunch of ideas with some friends, and one of my BFF’s, Krisheila thought “Smart, Savvy, and Savory” and I really loved the ring to it and play on words, so I just cut out the "smart" since savvy incorporates that and boom, there you have it.


Beyond the title, I’ve always found writing to be cathartic and I thought this might be a good way to document my finds and my life. I have a philosophy I like to call the “5 F’s”: Family, Friends, Food, Fashion and Frenchie.”  That pretty much sums up the things I love most, and in case you’re wondering, the last one is for my French Bulldog/Frenchie named Rambo. He’s going to be 4 years old this year and yes I enjoy dressing him up every once in awhile, taking a bazillion pictures of him, and letting him sleep on my bed with me. How can you resist this face?



Excuse the tangent, I’m sure I’ll be going on a lot of those, but let me get back to the point of this blog. I see a lot of blogs focused on fashion and décor I can’t afford or the lives of people I can’t relate to. I make what I like to call the “medium bucks,” and I think I am doing fairly well, but I am by no means rich. This blog is dedicated to those women who are in a similar place in their lives where they’re settling down,, moving up in their careers or still searching for the right one, renting or owning their own home… all while doing it in an affordable style. Just because I’m 30 something doesn’t mean the fun has to stop, but it also doesn’t mean there aren’t challenges, and I’ll be sharing those hurdles as well.

 A little more about me, I’m a Marketing Director at an IT Company and I love the company I work for, but I hope to one day also be a Teacher/Professor, two extremes I know. For my undergrad I got a B.S. in Communications & International Business Marketing, and I’ve been working in that industry for over 7 years now. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Marketing, but I've always had an itch to teach. I’ve always loved tutoring kids and about 3 years ago, I went back to school to get my Teaching Credentials and Masters in Teaching. Although I now have my masters and credentials, it just isn’t the right time to be a Teacher, especially in Southern California. I looked everywhere, but because so many teachers are still getting “pink slips” (laid off), when there are positions open, they hire those teachers back because new grads like me don’t have enough classroom experience. I could start substitute teaching to get my foot in the door, but with a new mortgage, I just couldn’t afford the instability of being a sub, which is why I’m still happily keeping my Marketing job. I’m decent at it, and my 2 bosses are amazing to work with, I’m very fortunate. I’m happy where I’m at, but every month when I see my grad school loan payments, and how expensive it is, sometimes I doubt my decision to go to Grad School because I’m not utilizing that degree. It’s hard to not have regrets, no matter how much people tell you not to. I just try to remind myself that someday I’ll be able to use it, whether it’s teaching elementary school kids or combining that passion with my current job and teaching Marketing at a college level, one way or the other I hope to make teaching happen.


Alright, I’m sure you’ve had enough of me. I hope you’ll share your stories too as this blog progresses. Feel free to ask me questions or leave comments, I love to help my fellow ladies (or men too if you’re reading).

No comments:

Post a Comment